Welcome back to our third post in our blog series, “5 Things You Didn’t Know About”, where we bring you some interesting and notable information about the members of Adventures in Northeast Ohio!
Our next feature showcases our member the Hoover Historical Center on the campus of Walsh University in North Canton, Ohio!
- The Center is the boyhood home of William H. Hoover, founder of the well-known vacuum company, The Hoover Company.
- Before making the electric portable vacuum cleaner that revolutionized housecleaning, the Hoover business prospered from making leather products! Today, the Center features a historical look back at the products, print ads, and jingles that made Hoover a household name.
- The Center has an 1860’s-era baseball team The Hoover Sweepers. The team plays from May until September at various community events throughout Ohio spreading the goodwill of vintage baseball.
- In addition to Hoover history, beautiful award-winning gardens that welcome visitors are cared for by members of the Center’s Herb Society, which hosts an annual Summer Garden Tea fundraiser.
- To celebrate the holidays, the Center hosts an annual Christmas Open House that includes live holiday music, horse-drawn wagon rides, homemade cookies and hot chocolate, and of course, Santa and Mrs. Claus.
We invite you to visit the Hoover Historical Center on your next outing in Northeast Ohio. For more information, visit the Center’s website at www.walsh.edu/hoover-historical-center.